If embedding an image or link to a file in a Canvas Quiz or Assignment, the file may remain unpublished, or could be accessible in the Canvas Files tool sooner than you intended.
When adding a file in either Canvas Assignments or Quizzes, you should either A) restrict the folder or file in Canvas or B) upload files outside of Canvas.
A) Restrict folder and files in Canvas
Make folder available by link
Creating a folder that is available by link so the folder is available but invisible to students. Students can access files in the folder, but only with a link to the folder’s contents, as from a Quiz or Assignment.
- Go to Files in your Canvas course.
- Click + Folder, then give it a name (e.g. Exams or Restricted), and click the check mark.
- Hover over new folder, click on the three dots on the right, select Manage Usage Rights.
- Set Usage Rights.
- Select Only available to students with link.
- Click Save.
- Access icon will change on the folder.
Upload file and restrict link visibility
- Open the newly created folder
- Upload the exam file by dragging them into the Files area, or with the Upload button.
- Files are not published by default. Click the exclamation mark icon .
- Specify your Usage Rights.
- Select the Only available to students with link option.
- Click Save.
- Access icon will change to a slash eye on the file .
B) Upload file outside of Canvas
You may wish to use Google Drive to upload your exam file, then reference this URL within your Quiz or Assignment. Please be aware that Google and its services are blocked in several countries.
- Login to drive.google.com using your Stanford authentication.
- If you haven’t done this before, see Stanford UIT’s getting started guide.
- Create a new folder and drop the exam file into it.
- Double-click to open the file.
- Click the three dot icon in the top right and click Share.
- Click Get sharable link in the top right of the window that appears.
- Select the option for Anyone at Stanford University with the link can view.
- This shows you a link which you can copy. This file will be available to any authenticated user who has the URL.
- Add this URL to your Quiz or Assignment.