This is a list of functionality that is currently missing in New Quizzes or significantly changed from the way it works in Classic Quizzes. This is not a complete list. It will be updated as new items are discovered. If you notice something that is missing or changed in a significant way in New Quizzes, please let us know at email@example.com. Instructure, the company that builds Canvas, also has a New Quizzes Feature Comparison chart to track missing functionality and plans for addressing those items.
Creating Quizzes - General
- No surveys - Survey functionality will no longer be supported in New Quizzes.
- No practice quizzes - A quiz can be made zero points or set to ‘do not count in final grade’, but it will still appear in the gradebook. Classic practice quizzes will be converted to graded quiz during migration. No plans to support a practice quiz type in New Quizzes.
- Designer role can’t build New Quizzes (but can edit the assignment settings).
- Matching questions don’t have a partial credit option. Students must get all answers correct to get credit. In Classic Quizzes, students got partial credit for each correct answer without penalty.
- No ability to create stand-alone text blocks. The stimulus function can be used, but a question (or questions) must be attached for it to display. The workflow is more awkward.
Creating Quizzes - Rich Content Editor
Instructure plans to integrate the rich content editor (RCE) that appears in other Canvas pages before the transition to New Quizzes is complete, which will resolve the following issues.
- No button to embed a non-media file into question. You would have to upload to the Files tool, copy the link from Files and insert the link into the quiz question. There is no content selector to link to existing course files.
- Image and media files have to be uploaded directly in the quiz builder. There is no content selector to link to existing course files.
- No ability to embed content from LTI integrations, like Panopto, Kaltura, Warpwire.
- No ability to record audio or video directly in the RCE.
- Upload Media function only accepts the mp3 audio format and mp4 and m4v video formats.
- Embedded media files have a download option. There doesn’t seem to be a streaming only option.
- Negative numbers don't display in Math questions when using the LaTeX tool in RCE.
- No ability to download file submissions in bulk.
- No ability to view/download Student Analysis. (Classic Quizzes allows for an export of all student responses in csv format.)
- Graders must go to the Grades tool to find the SpeedGrader, in order to view quiz submissions. The SpeedGrader link will no longer show in the Assignments or Quizzes tools.
- No ability to set dates for the release of correct answers.
General Admin Functions
- No APIs for third-party tool integrations or custom scripts.
- Authors of quiz banks have to take action to share them with other users, including the rest of the course team. Question banks are not available to all course instructors/admins by default.
- No quiz details page with summary of settings or links to SpeedGrader, Statistics, Moderation. These functions require more clicks to get into the New Quizzes builder or to go to Grades.
Conversion (aka Migration) from Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes Format
- Embedded media files in Classic Quizzes do not display when migrated to New Quizzes. Instructure is currently working on a fix for this issue.
- In Build mode, all uploaded media files start auto-playing at once.
- In quiz-taking mode, blank spaces appear where embedded media files should be and all embedded media files download upon loading the quiz page.
- When migrating a classic quiz with LaTex formulas to New Quizzes, the LaTex formulas are converted into images and are no longer editable.
- Every migration from Classic Quizzes to New Quizzes generates a Course Export Finished email to the person who started the migration.
Import Course Content (transferring content from one course to another)
- Currently, there is no way to convert quizzes in bulk to the New Quizzes format when using the Import Course Content function. Each quiz needs to be migrated one at a time. Instructure plans to have this resolved before the transition to New Quizzes is complete.
- New Quizzes copy over in new course as unpublished. This is a change in behavior from Classic Quizzes.