The Canvas Zoom tool is removed from concluded Canvas courses at the end of each quarter. For privacy and to ensure compliance with the TEACH Act, recordings should not be generally accessible to students beyond the end of the term.
The host of the meeting will still have access to recordings at https://stanford.zoom.us/recording. From there, they can be shared with those who have a documented purpose for needing access, such as a student with an incomplete or a staff member who needs access for purposes directly related to their instructional responsibilities for the course.
Without such a purpose, recordings should not be reshared with students if the video contains third-party content which you did not receive express permission to use. If you are willing to edit the video to remove third-party material, please see the last two options below.
Someone specifically needs access
If you are sharing a recording with the staff of the course or a student with an incomplete, please document this reason in an email to them listing the sole purpose of the recording’s use, such as to complete an incomplete, and the requirement to not share or further distribute the URL of the video (disable download unless it’s specifically needed).
- Visit https://stanford.zoom.us/recording.
- Click on a recording and then click Share.
- Make sure that “Only authenticated users can view” and password protection are enabled for your recording (they should be if you followed advice for changing your recording settings.)
- If you had previously enabled download of this recording, please disable Viewers can download unless they expressly need to be able to download the file.
- Add a reasonable expiry date to the link, not to exceed a year.
- Click Copy sharing information to clipboard.
- Click Done.
- Paste sharing information into email to your colleague or student.
Extend recording access to former students
If you want to re-share recordings with all your students, you need to 1) edit the recordings to remove third-party content which you did not receive express permission to use then 2) share using Panopto.
Sharing with Panopto
Panopto allows you to edit, restrict access, and has finer grained controls. If you are removing third-party content from your recordings, you can use Panopto Course Videos. GSB faculty should contact the Teaching and Learning Hub for Panopto alternatives.
Download your video recordings from Zoom
- Visit https://stanford.zoom.us/recording
- Click the recording you want to download (you can only see recordings if you are the host that scheduled the meeting)
- Click Download.
Upload video to Panopto
Panopto is a tool for editing and hosting videos for your course. It limits viewing to your course by default, lets you organize videos by folder to share to specific members, or unpublish or expire videos by date.
- Upload videos to Panopto.
- Use Panopto to edit video to remove third party material for which you have not obtained express permission to use.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm third party content has been removed and provide an access end date.
Distribute recordings more broadly
To share video(s) with any Stanford instructors or students who were not course staff or students in the course, you must edit the video(s) to remove third-party content, as well as remove students’ personally identifiable information from the recording (voice is fine, but not images of the students, names or other personal identifiers such as ID that are visible or audible).