When copying content from a past course, it is best to complete copying content to your new course while the new course is still unpublished. That will also give you the chance to unpublish or update content before students have access to the course. Content that was published in the past course will remain published when copied in the new course, and this may be undesirable for some content.
To copy content from a past course to a new course:
- From your new Canvas course, click Settings at the bottom of the course navigation menu.
- Click the Import Course Content button.
- Next to Content Type, select Copy a Canvas Course, then pick your past course from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the 'Select specific content' option, then click Import. This is important to avoid copying over content you likely don't want to reuse, like announcements and calendar events.
- Click the Select Content button, then select the types of content or content items you want to import to your new course.
- When the content has been imported, unpublish any content you don't want students to see (e.g., assignments, quizzes, files) and update due dates and content as needed.
- See this Import Content guide for full instructions.