The Modules tool allows instructors to organize course content in an organizational structure (based by week, unit, etc.). Each module will consist of as many items (assignments, quizzes, files, etc.) as you'd like and can be released on a certain date or by completing the assigned criterions assigned by the instructor.
Modules link to items that exist in a Canvas site or to external content. To get started, create a new module and add items to the module.
- Click Modules on the lefthand course navigation
- Click +Modules
- Give the module a name (e.g., Week 1)
- You can lock the module until a certain date and time now too, if you'd like
- Click Add Module
- Now, to add items to the module, click on the + sign to the right of the module you just created
- Next to Add, select the drop-down arrow and choose the type of content you'd like to add
- If you've already created the content in the course, you can add previously created content. If you haven't, you can create content now. If you've chosen "External URL", you will need to paste in the URL.
- Click Add Item
Please note that items added to a module that are not yet published in the original location, will not be accessible to students from the module until the original content is published. For example, if a file is linked from the module and the module is published but the file is not yet published, students can click on the file name but will see an error.
To ensure students are seeing what they should be, we recommend using the Student View (Settings > Student View or found on the Homepage) to test whether students can access certain course content.
For more information on Modules, please see the Canvas guide, What are Modules?