The Modules tool allows instructors to organize course content in an organizational structure (based by week, unit, etc.). Each module will consist of as many items (assignments, quizzes, files, etc.) as the instructor would like. Items within a module can be released on a certain date and time or by completing the assigned criterions assigned by the instructor.
Modules link to items that exist in a Canvas site or to external content. To get started, create a new module and add items to the module.
- Click Modules on the lefthand course navigation
- Click on the +Modules tab
- Give the module a name (e.g., Week 1)
- You can lock the module until a certain date and time
- Click Add Module
- Now, to add items to the module, click on the + sign to the right of the module you just created
- Next to "Add", select the drop-down arrow and choose the type of item you'd like to add
- Based on the selection you've chosen, you may need to add more information, such as the URL if you selected "External URL"
- Click Add Item
Please note that items added to a module that are not yet published at the original location, will not be accessible to students even from the module until the original file is published. For example, if a file is linked from the module and the module is published but the file is not yet published, students can click on the file item but will see an error that the file is currently locked. We recommend using the Student View (Settings > Student View) to test whether students can access certain course content.
For more information on Modules, please see the Canvas guide, What are Modules?