Instructure Professional Services created the Sections <-> Groups tool for Stanford. It is a custom LTI tool to allow cloning a group into a section or cloning a section into a group.
First, make sure the Section <-> Group tool is enabled in your course navigation. If it is not in your lefthand navigation, you will need to enable it.
- Click on Settings.
- Click Navigation.
- Find Section <-> Group.
- Drag it to the top list to enable the tool.
- Scroll down and hit Save.
- Refresh the page.
To clone a group into a section, follow the steps below (if you already have the groups set up, skip to step 6).
- Click on People.
- Click +Group Set.
- Give the group set a name and if you want students to sign-up for a particular section, select the checkbox. If you're going to manually assign student to a section, select the option "I'll create groups manually".
- Click Save.
- Click +Group and fill out the information.
- Once the group(s) has/have been created, enable the Section <-> Group tool. Go to Settings, click the Navigation tab, drag the Section <-> Group tool to the active toolbar section and click Save.
- Click Section <-> Group in the toolbar.
- Click the Groups tab.
- Click Sync Now to update the page.
- Select the checkbox next to the group(s) you'd like to clone.
- Click Clone as Section.
To clone a section into a group, follow the steps below.
- Click on the Section <-> Group in the toolbar.
- Click the Sections tab.
- Click Sync Now to update the page
- Select the checkbox next to the section you'd like to clone.
- Click Clone as Group.
For more information on sections and groups, please see: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ITKDHzcPRUm9JA_MeCJZKckawaxQFu7das1DnGJsG48/