As of Winter 2017, the Attendance tool is disabled by default due to some issues when using the tool. However, instructors, TAs and course admins have the ability to enable the tool. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Go into the desired course site.
- Click Settings in the toolbar.
- Find Attendance, click on the Settings gear and click Enable or drag the tool to the top of the list.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
Please keep in mind that there are some known issues with the Attendance tool that may not be ideal for use. Some are listed below.
- Using the Roll Call Attendance tool automatically creates an assignment
- Renaming the assignment creates problems such as inaccurate score calculations
- Deleting the assignment item results in that item never appearing again and no way of getting it back
- The Attendance tool cannot be used to take attendance in both the lecture and discussion sections together
- The Gradebook will only display the score of the last session roll was taken and disregard that of the other section
- Multiple sections may cause the layout of the tool to overlap and causes some functions to not work properly
- Manually updating a student’s Attendance grade in the Gradebook will cause the Attendance tool to stop automatically calculating the overall score for that student
- To reverse this, one needs to go into the Attendance tool for that student, cycle the attendance from present, late, absent, none, and back to present