When assignments are muted, notifications of grade updates (as well as comments made in the SpeedGrader) will not go out to students. While you work on grading, you can mute assignments either through the Gradebook or through the SpeedGrader.
Muting Assignments from the Gradebook
- Click Grades in the course toolbar.
- Hover over the name of the assignment.
- Click the black drop-down arrow in the box.
- Click Mute Assignment.
- Then, click Mute Assignment again to confirm.
Here is a visual guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2823
Muting Assignments from the SpeedGrader
- Click Assignments in the course toolbar.
- Click on the name of the assignment.
- Click the SpeedGrader link at the upper right of the page.
- Click the second icon in the upper-left-hand corner that looks like a speaker with sound.
- Click Mute Assignment to confirm.
Here is a visual guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2952
Once you are ready to release grades and/or comments to students, follow the same procedure as above but instead of clicking “Mute Assignment”, click “Unmute Assignment" from the Grades tool or from the speaker icon in the SpeedGrader.