All graded assignments must be worth a certain point value so that the Canvas Grades tool can calculate the final grade. If you’d like to give students a letter grade for an assignment, you can do so by setting up grading schemes for the assignment but a numerical value must be associated with the letter.
Create a new assignment
- Click Assignments in your course.
- Click +Assignment.
- Enter the total amount of points the assignment is worth.
- For Display Grade as, choose Letter Grade from the dropdown menu.
- Click View Grading Scheme.
- Here, you can select an existing grading scheme or create one of your own. If you want to create a new grading scheme for the assignment, scroll down in the popup window and click on Manage Grading Schemes then Add grading scheme. For step-by-step instructions, see How to add a Grading Scheme to an Assignment.
Grade Student Submissions
There are two options where you can grade student submissions 1) Grades tool or 2) SpeedGrader.
In Grades, you can manually type in a letter grade for each student and Canvas will automatically generate a numerical value based on the assignment grading scheme.
In the SpeedGrader, you will be able to manually type the letter grade into the Grade box for each student.
Please note that although you can assign students letter grades, you will not be able to hide the total amount of "points" the students earned based on the letter grade received. The grading scheme will take the highest point value of the letter range. For example, if an A- is < 94.0% to 90.0%, entering an A- will result in a 93% because that's the next whole number that is less than 94%.