You have two options when it comes to how you’d like your embedded file links to appear to your students in Files.
Option 1: Allowing student access to embedded links in Files
Allow all/some announcement, assignment, etc. embedded files to be accessible to students via Files. This option calls for the creation of a designated folder that acts as an archive for all embedded course links. Follow the steps below.
- Go to Files in your course.
- Create a folder and give it a title (e.g., Embedded file links).
- If you'd like, you can create subfolders within the newly created folder to organize the types of files (e.g., "Files from Announcements", "Files from Pages", etc.).
*Notice that the subfolders are located under the "Embedded File Links" folder, all folders which are published.
Option 2: Restricting student access to embedded links in Files
This option allows students to access the downloadable files from the location you add the files to but does not allow students to see the files from the Files tool. Steps are below.
- Create folder: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2749
- Restrict folder access: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2770
Once a folder is restricted, it will have an orange/reddish color. See screenshot below.
Next, Uploading Files:
Once you've decided which route to go and created the folder(s), you can begin embedding files anywhere that has the rich-content editor. When uploading a file through the "Insert Content into the Page" tool, make sure the folder you select is the correct one. An example is below.
Please note that all the files that are added through embedding will require you to go in and select the Usage Rights associated with the files. You can either select it from the content sidebar (see screenshot below) or if you forgot to do so, you can set usage rights through the Files tool: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2782.