Anyone with an active SUNet ID can be added to a Canvas site by a member of the course team. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Go to the StanfordWho directory (https://stanfordwho.stanford.edu)
- Login to StanfordWho with your SUNet credentials for full access
- Type in the user's name or email address
- Copy the user's SUNet ID (sometimes, people have aliases; be sure you choose the FIRST SUNet ID shown since only that one will work)
- Go to your Canvas course site
- Click People on the left-hand navigation
- Click +People
- In the Add People window, select the SUNet ID option and enter the SUNet ID in the text box
- Select the role from the dropdown menu (You must choose the Observer role when adding an auditor or guest, in order to comply with FERPA privacy guidelines)
- If the course has multiple sections or cross-listings, choose the desired section
- Click Next to continue with the process
If the person is in the system and is eligible to be added to the system, a validation message will pop up at the top of the page when you try to add the person. You are now ready to click the Add Users button at the lower right corner.
A message in green indicates the person is successfully added to the course. See below.
If a person is not found or the process is not successful, you will see the error below. If this happens, contact the Canvas team at email@example.com.