External URLs are most commonly added to the Modules tool. Clicking on the module item will open a new tab, taking the user to the external site. For more information, see How do I add an external URL as a module item?
You can create a Page and paste all URLs onto the page for students to access or embed external links to multiple pages, depending on how you'd like to organize the course. If using one page for all URLS, organize the URLs by using headings or another way to section off the many links.
Course Navigation Menu
The teaching team can add an external URL directly to the lefthand course navigation. To do so, use the Redirect tool.
- Go into your course and click on Settings from the lefthand navigation.
- Click the Apps tab near the top of the page. All the available apps that can be added to your Canvas site will appear on this page.
- Click the Redirect Tool or you can search for it by typing in “Redirect Tool” in the search bar.
- Click +Add App.
- Fill in the fields for Name (as you want it to appear on your navigation bar), URL Redirect, and select the checkboxes that apply.
- Make sure to select “Show in Course Navigation”
Reload the page and you will see a new link in the course navigation. If you'd like to change the order of your navigation tools, go to Settings > Navigation > drag and drop tools to your liking > scroll down and Save.
Note: You can add links to any tool that has the Rich Content Editor, such as on Assignments, Pages, Announcements, etc.