External URLs are most commonly added to the Modules tool. For more information, see How do I add an external URL as a module item?
Course Navigation Menu
The teaching team has the ability to add an external URL directly to your course navigation. To do so, you will need to use the Redirect tool.
- Go into your course site and click on Settings from the lefthand navigation.
- Click the Apps tab near the top of the page. All the available apps that can be added to your Canvas site will appear on this page.
- Click the Redirect Tool or you can search for it by typing in “Redirect Tool” in the search bar. Please see the image below for the Redirect Tool.
- Click Add App.
- Fill in the fields for Name (as you want it to appear on your navigation bar), URL Redirect, and select the checkboxes that apply.
- Make sure to select “Show in Course Navigation”
Reload the page and you will see a new tab in the course navigation. If you'd like to change the order of your navigation tools, go to Settings > Navigation > drag and drop tools to your liking > scroll down and Save.
You can create a page titled “External URLs” and paste all the appropriate URLs onto the page. To organize the URLs based on weeks or courses, give separate heading titles for each.
You can add links anywhere in the Rich Content Editor, such as on Assignments, Pages, Announcements, etc. Here, you can format the text to your liking and link directly to outside sources.